Sunday, October 16, 2011

31 weeks pregnant in Burundi

Jan took this picture today and clearly we're well on our way!  The boys understand what's going on (there's a baby in Mommy's tummy), they know I'll leave for the USA first and that they'll come a few weeks later with Papa and that we'll all have Christmas together in WI.  Hurrah - great timing, don't you think?! (Although, landing in WI nine months pregnant with my favorite Indian buffet, Papa Johns and Prego spaghetti sauce available anytime, not to mention Thanksgiving AND Christmas, does sound a bit dangerous...)

Most Burundians who see me, those I know as well as strangers, are seriously impressed with my stomach, and often comment on it to Roger, our driver.  Or ask me when I'm due and then act shocked that I still have 2 months to go.  (Half the baby's genes are Dutch and they're the tallest people in the world - what's a mom to do?)

My theory is that all the attention is largely fashion-related.  Burundian pregnancy clothes tend to be similar to a large colorful sheet that just makes you look fat (I'm sure there are way more pregnant women than I actually notice), whereas ours are specifically designed to make you look pregnant and not fat.  Or at least that's the hope...  In Western pregnancy clothes, I look visibly (sometimes shockingly) pregnant and apparently that's hard not to notice!

No comments:

Post a Comment